Monday, October 25, 2004

Smashing Pumpkins

Halloween used to be my favorite holiday. That’s back when it involved lots of alcohol, a blonde wig and American flag jeans. Aaaah, the good old days. You should have seen me. I’m not sure if it was the jeans or the blonde wig, but I really did have more fun.

But things are different now. I'm an adult. I have a baby and live in the suburbs and will attend the neighborhood's fall family festival where I'll bring a side dish because my last name starts with M (the N-S's get to bring dessert). And I'll be home by 6:30pm, getting Daniel ready for bed, after which I'll collapse on the sofa and say something like, "I'm exhausted! Playgroup was intense today."

And I'll be denied the escapism my former favorite holiday allowed. No longer can I be the crazy blonde dancing her wig off. Now, I have a pumpkin on my front steps and spend All Hallows Eve handing out big gobs of candy from the enormous silver salad bowl that we got as a wedding present and don’t quite know what to do with (yes, I registered for it, but my friends still talk about the time I filled it with fruit salad and brought it to a dinner party. They ate the leftovers for a week).

But I digress. The point is I am now someone's mommy and must therefore act responsibly. So I will shovel out as much candy as I can per kid so they'll think I'm the cool mom in the neighborhood. And I'll ooh and aah over the outfits. “Aren’t you a cute little pumpkin! Oh, you’re supposed to be a princess? Of course you are! Adorable I tell you!” And I know I'll have fun. But it'll just be a different kind of a good time. A grown up time. I may even get crazy and hang a paper skeleton from a tree in the yard. Isn't that what SUV-driving suburban mom's do? And the truth is that I am excited to have my first Halloween as a mommy, to open the door holding my little chili pepper, who though only four months old will undoubtedly be humiliated and angry that he's stuffed into a bright red and green polyester number.

Maybe this year I’ll try to squeeze into my Halloween jeans. The trick would be getting into them, the treat would be if they fit, though given that even at my most lithe they involved a lot of zipper-tugging, it may not be a treat for anyone else. And besides, do I want to be That Mom? The one with the too young outfits who tries to be cool and embarrasses her kid in front of his friends? That Mom who's kid will end up years later on a frayed, sagging couch where he pours out his story to a sympathetic therapist who frantically takes notes as he says something like – “I don’t know why my mom was always wearing crazy outfits. It all started when I was four months old and she wore these ridiculous American flag jeans…”

So this year, I think I’ll wear my regular jeans and eat as many mini-snickers as I can and hope that no neighborhood punk smashes my pumpkin.


3 Comments:

At October 4, 2005 at 10:56 AM, Blogger alena said...

Hey, I have enjoyed...your blog is informative - even entertaining.

I have a halloween sites. They pretty much covers costumes and masks related stuff.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to bookmark you.

 
At November 7, 2005 at 9:19 PM, Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word halloween, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

 
At November 8, 2005 at 12:17 PM, Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word Aah, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home