Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Tupperware Parties and Other Reasons We May Need An Intervention

Oh my god. The worst has happened. I have not only been invited to a tupperware party, but have heartily accepted. I was even gleeful. What is going on? Am I that bored that a party with a bunch of women sitting around getting excited about plastic containers sounds good to me? It’s something I’ve always made fun of. Me, Ms. I’m-So- Cool-And-Hip-Not-Like-All-You-Boring-Mainstream people. Next thing you know, Daniel will be five years old and I’ll spend my days walking around the grocery store in a too-short tennis skirt. I guess those women play tennis first. Or after. Right? Or are they just trying to seduce the slow kids who bag their groceries? I never understood it. But then again, I never thought I’d be excited about tupperware. For god’s sake. I mean, Pampered Chef parties I can understand. I get it. But tupperware? That’s so 1972 Stepford wife. Isn’t it?

There’s also talk among the mommies in playgroup of a jewelry party where a bunch of women, probably the same ones from the tupperware party, sit around spending too much money on some random jewelry someone makes specifically to take to these parties so that once there, you’re guilted into buying some, nice or not. I saw a product of one of these parties at a playgroup. She was dripping in bright blue shiny stuff. Her ears and wrists and neck were draped with it. It was awful and it scared me.

Why is no one doing what my sister-in-law did, having one of those sex toy parties? That would be more fun, though I’m not sure I’m into that either given that it would be the same people from the previous parties and really, I can’t think of a single one of them who I’d like to see buy a double-wide vibrator that sticks to the shower walls. It’s true. My sister-in-law told me. And no, I refuse to host anything like that. Just. Can’t. Do. It. Check with me next week though.

3 Comments:

At October 1, 2004 at 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may be a man, but I find your blog thoroughly enjoyable. Coincidently, I too have a son named Daniel. :)

Keep on Bloggin'

 
At December 14, 2004 at 1:45 PM, Blogger seeingdouble said...

I had the same feeling when I hosted a Mary Kay party for my neighbor. Like is this suburban or what??

 
At May 10, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Anonymous david said...

I was passing over the blogs,I found this one to be most suitable for me.... You can take a brief view of Conference and Events Venues.I am very user
friendly with this ...check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home